Find us on facebook!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A persons a person no matter how small!

My favorite line from the movie "Horton Hears a Who"
We found out yesterday that the smallish person in my belly is a boy! His name is George Thomas Gorsky, and we are uber excited to meet him...when the time comes of course! For now, there is a room to be finished!
Yesterday was also "Joey's new bunkbeds day." Well...new to him. I got them for free off freecycle from a lady 3/10mile away. Good deal. They are circa 1940s with iron springs and half-wagon-wheel head/foot boards. I need to do some bracing/rail building before he can go on top bunk, but I think they'll work...and the price is right:) The wood is stained just darker than the dresser I have in the room. The dresser is one my father had commissioned before my arrival for use as a tall-parent changing table. 31 years later, it will serve the same purpose:)
The color scheme for the kids room will be Lake Blue & Alfalfa Green, with some pale green, white and chocolate. I think it will be appropriate for both a 9yo and a newborn...and will grow with both well.
It looks as though the teddy bear situation is just about maxed out. I don't think I realized how many Joey had when we bought one for George in California! All of Joey's have a "story" though...so none are going anywhere. There is MY FAO Schwartz teddy bear that I got on a trip to the city with AnneMarie Dalton. I have a picture of us on the black leather couch in Amy Belinsky's apartment. There is the Cat in the Hat which is the first toy Joey asked for in Crossgates at about 5-6months old. By ask--I mean--pointed to and showed interest in:) There is the stuffed brown raccoon that Uncle Joe brought to Joey on his first visit. There is CarMach...a small brown bear I bought for Joey while traveling for my Dad's show. Day one in the International 4700 466DE, I spilled a Caramel Machhiato on him. There is my Patrick the Pup from FAO. There is Romeo...the blue elephant that I bought in 1993 at Madison Square Garden with Ruthie Chaddocks backstage pass for $18. There is the giraffe I bought just after Dickie the Giraffe of Commeford's died. There's a Mickey Mouse I bought for Bit while at Disney. There is the Large Pooh Bear that my mom's friend Rosemary Walsh gave to Elizabeth when she was born. There is the brown and white cow I found on craigslist about 3 years ago...NWT for $5...and does Joey love it. Then there is Kenny...the newest addition to Club Stuff. He is the bear Wayne and I bought for him on Valentine's Day in Saulsuito, CA at Babies R Us (Wayne's first time in a BRU) after his 18wk ultrasound. The bear then traveled to Louisville, Sarasota and home to NY in the "new" 1998 Kenworth W900B. So Kenny is his name.
I'm starting to realize why Joey already has two beds:)
We will be picking up the crib hopefully in the near future, then I will continue to move things around for 4 months. I "think" I know where everything is going...but I'm not 100%. I will know better once the crib is in place. Discovered yesterday that Joey's bookshelf needs to be replaced. A) it's too small B) it's too shallow for kids books and C) it's pretty much falling apart.
The Borders near us, like many, is closing due to their Chapter 11 Filing. Joey and I stopped by today and I started George's library off on the right foot. Joey has "most" of the classics: Eric Carle, Dr Seuss, Goodnight Moon, Shel Silverstein, etc. All the "baby books" short picture/board books are long gone...except the Thomas ones...those will go to the grave with Joey:) This whole "boy thing" it turns out I'm pretty good at. Yes, I'm sure we have tractor books...but a tractor/truck book that teaches colors? Where was that when Joey needed it? Other neato books like that too. AND a baby book. I don't think Joey ever had one---oops. So might as well start off on the right track for George...check back in a few years and we'll see if I remembered to stay on the track....but the intentions are good:-)
We also went to Target to raid the new baby section. I had started a registry online...and have since deleted half the stuff because it's been gifted as a hand me down or I've found it on craigslist for a great price. I have the high chair, bouncer, infant car seat, a bumbo, crib on it's way, changing table(dresser), some crib sheets, etc. There are still a few more big things: stroller, pack n play, monitor, etc...and all the little stuff too. The trouble with Target's website is a lot of the "in store" available stuff is not shown online...maybe a close cousin, but not the same thing. I know many people don't want to go online and would rather just go to the store, so we went to add stuff on today. The scanner was uber easy--Joey did all but the first one. With a little house, it makes it very important to draw lines between needs and wants. Cause Goollllllyyyyy baby stuff you don't "need" could take up a lot of room. The swing for instance...my goodness...it's worse that the Christmas tree:) So I picked out a smaller one---online, that can be tucked out of the way if need be.
Oh can I vent about pirate stuff? I have never liked skulls and crossbones on kids stuff...ever. However, you would think with the new actual pirate attacks on innocent people that maybe we could stop glorifying them? I don't mean to be ungrateful, but anything we receive with pirates/skulls/crossbones will be returned. It's just not appropriate. In wake of the recent attack on the 4 missionaries who were killed, at least in their honor we could not support the "excitement" of this lifestyle.
OK I'm done now. Off to inhale more water. Yes...I CRAVE water. 2 ice cubes and filtered water=happy Katie. Maybe I'll buy some lemons and spoil myself:)

No comments:

Post a Comment