Find us on facebook!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

What to do in a water emergency

My neighbors and I are in a water emergency currently due to a water main break.  This time of the year this is common as sudden changes in temperature affect our under ground, and likely antiquated water supply lines in the northeast.
It was a quiet Friday night here in the metropolis of Victory, then sirens broke out, followed by a trooper going past and then the village's little backhoe/loader.  I probably should have put it all together...but I didn't.  Until an hour later I noticed low water pressure in the sink and immediately assumed Joey was building more backyard Ice Roads and left the hose on.  Not the case.  (He had used plastic jugs and not the hose for Friday's road construction.)  Eventually the water didn't run at all.  I checked the voicemail on the phone and sure enough there was the reverse 911 call.  (It was feeding time at the zoo, I didn't know the number, I didn't answer.)
By morning the toilet wasn't flushing.  Thankfully, I didn't heed the advice in a child safety blog earlier in the week that reminded us all to immediately drain the water after bath time to prevent wandering toddlers from drowning.  Not that it's bad advice, it just provided me some lovely Tea Tree scented water to flush the toilet with.
In came the texts and emails from disgruntled neighbors.  Of course we panic, we're mighty used to the creature comforts of our cozy homes.  It's important in a situation like this to step back and think about what's going on.  The water main break occurred on a Friday night.  Traditionally this is a time spent with family and friends, relaxing after a busy week at work and school.  The guy who drove by on the loader, the volunteer fireman who were blocking off the street and the scores of other people running for parts and trying to fix the problem are PEOPLE.  They were home with their feet up, watching the news.  They were getting ready for a daughter's 2nd birthday party.  They were bringing dinner to an elderly neighbor.  They stopped their evening to go spend the evening and most of the night in 15 degree darkness trying to fix your problem.  Why?  For the water guys, sure it's part of their job.  For all of them, they are our neighbors.  They don't have water either.  They've worked all night freezing their buns off, without coffee because Stewarts was probably out too, and when they're lucky enough to go home they can't take a nice warm shower either.
It's natural to react.  It's not necessary to over react.  Is it inconvenient?  Absolutely.  Are they working on it?  Most definitely.
So now that we're at peace with the no water situation, what do we do?

I would probably suggest making cookies and bringing them to the guys working outside.  Don't worry that you haven't showered, either have they.  (No I didn't this time.)
Next I would check that pantry inventory for any bottled water.  If there isn't any, add it to the shopping list.
Then locate the anti-bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer.  I don't use these all the time, but they are certainly convenient in a situation such as this.  Even if the sink is full of dishes, at least the table and counters can be wiped down.
I'm sure all the perfect people of the world have their dishes done as soon as they are dirty.  I'd be lying if I said there weren't four dirty bottles in my sink.
While the water is off do what you can, then enjoy the fact that you can't do dishes or laundry for a while.  Hey nothing to fold!:)

When the water comes back with a "boil water advisory" what does that mean?  This is exactly the research I did yesterday.  I suppose most grown ups should know this, but I wasn't sure of the "rules."  So I shall share with yourselves.
First: let it run!  Initially there will be obvious dirt and grit in your water.  Open up the tub faucet (cold only, you don't need to heat the water going down the drain!) and let her roll.  When you can't see the grit settle anymore start with these rules.

  • Water for drinking, cooking, teeth brushing, and pet consumption should be boiled for at least a full minute, then cooled to safe temperatures for use.
  • Dishes: If you have a dishwasher run it on the hottest setting, sanitize if you have it.  If you are without a dishwasher, wash your dishes with very hot water that is good and soapy.  Follow with a hot rinse.
    • Alternatively, you can rinse dishes in a bleach water solution.  1Tbsp of household bleach to 1 gallon of water.  (Anyone remember washing their dishes at girl scout camp?)  Rinse the dishes then allow to sit for a few minutes before towel drying.  
  • You may wash your clothes normally, I chose the hot cylce just for that warm fuzzy feeling accompanied with it.
  • Shower away, but when singing turn away from the water so you don't drink it!
    • I avoided baby bath time (breathe, Mom) because he always seems to end up drinking the water...and of course he would during a boil water advisory.  Nothing a sponge bath didn't take care of.
  • Most of us have fridges with water and ice in the door, or an ice maker.  First, hit the "lock" button...trust me it's habit to go there for water and ice.  This should pretty much be avoided for the duration of the boil water advisory.  When the advisory is lifted, run three gallons of water though the water side (great job for a responsible child), then dump three batches of ice.  It's likely you did this when you changed your filter, right?  You DID didn't you?:)  
When the boil water advisory is lifted.  Jump for joy!  Sing in the shower! (Don't jump in the shower, those poor EMS guys need a nap.)  Once you are clean and sung out.  Research organizations that provide water to people with none.  Not for 12 hours, people who NEVER have clean water!  Then send them some money, say a prayer, stock up on 20 gallons of water for the next emergency....and grab some chocolate chips so you'll be ready to make cookies for the guys fixing your problem:-)






2 comments:

  1. I am Katie's Mom, Not sure of Katie remembers any of these tips but I may have rubbed off on her!
    Whenever I knew there was going to be a possible ice storm, ( when I lived in the Northeast), heavy snow enough to cause a power outage that would kill the well water pump, I would step into action! I would remove all clutter on floors and surfaces. My thought was that when the power went out we might not see stuff lying on the floor where it shouldn't be or while power was out we could not put things where they belonged why not start with a clean slate before the lights went out ! so vacuum, rugs and floors, clean bathrooms, clean all surfaces! If the power goes out without warning and it is still light out you can sweep rugs and floors,and Windex is your best friend. So when there is no power and water, you can stress less that it will not look like a total disaster area when the lights come back on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You are too funny! But seriously, I can see your point. My neighbor was bugging the crap out of me. Sorry if I bugged you! lol! We have been without water before and I'm sure it will happen again. Next time I hope to be better prepared.

    ReplyDelete