Find us on facebook!

Friday, March 18, 2011

the next best thing to love (the one about PB pancakes---updated!:)

Peanut Butter Pancakes!
While vacationing in Florida @ my parents, we went to Yoder's Amish Restaurant twice. The morning we were leaving we were there for breakfast. I'm pretty sure that NOTHING is a bad choice on that menu. Wayne ordered the Peanut Butter Pie Chocolate Chip Pancakes...write that on a little note pad. It was love at first bite. He was certain my parents would have to send some to him until we were back again. (Why do I have a funny feeling that upon arriving in Sarasota next January, our first stop will be Yoders?) He did let me have a small bite, only because I told him it would be easier to replicate had I eaten them before.
Try I did.
The first attempt...eh...not so great. Edible, but not the same.
Try two: as close as I'll get to perfection without blackmailing IdaMae for the recipe.
The boys are in love.

First step: A nice griddle. I use an All-Clad double burner griddle which is amazing. I was serving the "panycakes" (Joey's term) with sausage, so cooked those first while preparing the batter, then wiped down with paper towel.

As with most batters, I find the KitchenAid stand mixer to be a great help, but especially with this sticky batter. This is more like a cookie dough, than a pancake.

2c flour
5 tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
4 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp veggie oil
2 eggs
2c milk
1c pb (I use creamy)
1.5c chocolate chips (mini ones would be fine too)

UPDATE: Add flour through eggs and then mix...clean this kitchen, start the coffee.  Wait until it's little mini-peas (a la pastry dough).  THEN add milk, 1c at a time.  Once combined add PB and mix well.  Add chips if desired.

Now, you can sub PB for cream cheese.  However, cut 8oz cc into about 20? cubes.  Once added, don't mix too much.  PB is good evenly distributed, CC is best when still chunks.

It is critical to use a low temp when cooking.  I had my gas range in between 2 & 3 for the duration.
I ladle on and cook as one cooks pancakes.

Once cooked, serve with a sprinkling of PB crumbles (sugar and PB in almost equal parts combined with a pastry blender or food processor. Slightly more sugar than PB. A batch of these keeps for a while in a rubbermaid in the cabinet.) and maybe a few chocolate chips. The boys liked these traditionally topped with butter and syrup.

These are filling. This batch (for dinner) left us with leftovers (3) for Wayne's dinner the next night.

If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, store between waxed paper in a ziplock. Reheating in the toaster oven is our fave method.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try these sometime. Maybe tomorrow instead of waffles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tripled the recipe because my parents were here and I could have gotten by with only doubling it. Two of my girls didn't like them, but everyone else loved them.

    ReplyDelete