Find us on facebook!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Not doing a menu

I'm procrastinating. I have a brain injury. It sucks. However, I've learned to cope and manage and at least get the house somewhat organized and properly running. To do that there are a GAZILLION systems in place. Each month ends with lists for the next. Starting with menu, groceries, updated inventory, then bills to be paid, upcoming expenses, projects for the month. I like to have it all done by the 1st of the month and tend to do my once monthly shopping a few days later. (Using up leftover perishables in the beginning of the month before starting with fresh.)

March....not happening.

I think I'm still convinced that March shouldn't happen until the snow is gone, or maybe it just shouldn't be here yet. Being away for over 2weeks in Feb, sure made that month fly by.

Well other than getting some milk and bread when we got back from vaca, I hadn't gone grocery shopping since around January 6th or 7th. Yes, really. Now, not that there was "NO Food" in the house, but when you live solely off the pantry, it feels not-creative and repetitive. Either way it was bugging me and I needed variety. I hadn't been to Walmart since October. It was my own little ban on stupid clientele and dumb management. i doubt they missed me.

With the ever increasing fuel prices, and our desire to cut expenses it's been decided that I should try to limit my trips out and about. Thursday was a busy day, I had Drs all morning, a stop at cracker barrel, picked up Joey at the farm, went to get his haircut, then home. Well, I had pics we took on Wednesday that we needed ON a poster for Saturday that I forgot to send over for printing on Wednesday night. Sooo. I went online to send them to Target...and they no longer do 1hr 5x7s:( bummer. Walmart does. So I sent them over and 20 minutes later I got a text that they were done.

Well, since we'd be there "anyway" I somehow decided we could get groceries. I tried to stick to the staples and the "normal" list. It was weird. Now, 4 days later I still don't have a menu or a freaken clue what we're eating for dinner. It's bugging the crap out of me. Which is normally a good motivator to get things done. But. I've never done it this backwards and I think part of me doesn't know "where to start" and therefore I'm avoiding it. I have a few ideas, but certainly not 24 more days worth.

The house is quiet, we have nowhere to go...the boy is out shoveling...and here I am blogging about not making my menu. I suppose that's a step up from avoidance...at least I'm acknowledging it now.....right?

4 comments:

  1. AT least you make the attempt to do a menu. Since I seem to have given up cooking almost entirely, except for the occasional stab at a new recipe I find, you're way ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes it can be fun to sort things out from the pantry and put together meals that way. a bit like a game? or maybe that is strange that I find that sort of thing fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally did the menu!:)
    Katie--I've done the pantry challenge...love it!
    Only last week Joey had tuna for 5 meals in a row...I have a lot of stuff in the pantry..but not tons of different items...and my creativity was lacking:) Not to mention hormonically (new word) I'm not feeling everything...:)

    ReplyDelete