Find us on facebook!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Responsible is kinda boring...

OK, OK....i know I'm a grown up...or should at least act like one. This morning was direct deposit/bill paying morning. I know I should be incredibly thankful to have money to pay the bills...and I am. We're blessed out with a nice home, electric, cable, internet, cells.
Really though, it would have been way more fun to spend the morning at the outlets...
I spend a lot of time getting rid of stuff in my house to keep it neat and organized, and when I shop I really don't go crazy. I usually don't pay full price for anything. I think it's mostly a psychological thing. I'd like to go grocery shopping without adding up our total the whole way through the store to keep it in budget. I'd like to know that I can go bra shopping (something I actually loathe) and still buy gas next week. I think it's more the not worrying IF I can, rather than actually doing it.
Retail therapy was way more fun when all i had was a truck payment and more cash than we bring in combined in a month. (There was a day I walked into Tiffany's with $8,000 in cash in my backpack...and not a bill to pay...)
Don't get me wrong, i totally embrace the fact that I SHOULD pay the bills...and how lovely it is long term. I suppose wondering if the lights will be turned off is worse than wondering if I can blow $100 at the outlets...
There is definitely a fabulous sense of security in paying the bills. It's just not very fun:)
Something tells me that at 30 I should find joy in this...maybe I'm just not there yet. As much as I appreciate spending half an hour clicking away and paying all the bills...I just don't wanna:)
It's not like our bills are crazy...they are pretty much bare bones with added perks like texting:)
There's also a part of me that would love a new car...but there's a bigger part of me that's excited my car payment will be going away in about a year. The baby will be paid for in October. (that sounds so weird) So things will lighten up a little. I'm just stuck here and kinda whining...trying to focus on "yay the bills are paid" and not the "well if I drive 15 miles to save 10 cents a pound on chicken...does it still make sense?"
It would just be a whole different life if we lived on the farm. A $1300 mortgage and a $500/month gas savings...we could save half of it, upgrade to standard cable, and buy all the natural chicken breasts our heart desired...and maybe even hit up a clearance rack here or there...
but...that's out of our control.
So for now I shall try hard to find joy in paid bills...spend an hour reading circulars to find the best chicken price, and not think about how nice a new couch would be.

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya only I have a few years on you and should be more "mature" about it and take joy. I think the hardest part is seeing others not have to worry or maybe they just don't because they don't care of debt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea. I'm convinced if I had unlimited budget for Target, Pottery Barn/Williams Sonoma, and gas...I'd probably function just fine:)
    I guess it would be worse to be financing it all...that's only fun till the bill comes:)
    Let's just hope we live long enough to enjoy being debt free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i find people tend to spend more when they make more, so if you pretend you have less, you spend less. that's our way of doing things around here. we put away money to save right off the bat so that the temptation of "fun" spending is curbed and a non-issue. then we budget with the money at hand. if you don't have it, you can't spend it. (well you can, but then you are really putting yourself in a pickle when the bill arrives!)

    ReplyDelete